Tuesday 29 April 2014

Writing Fast Without Distractions

Zen Garden
One of the biggest problems with writing quickly (so I’m finding), is avoiding distractions.

Whenever I sit down and start writing, the  phone will ring, someone will knock at the door, or the dogs will start barking at something so I’ll have to go out and see what’s bothering them (we currently have a venomous snake in our garden so I have to be extra careful at the moment).

Or sometimes, the distractions are simply nagging thoughts in my head that won't go away.

It seems like there is always something to try and stop me from writing.

So how do I deal with it?

Firstly, all the practice I’ve been putting in helps. It helps me to focus so it helps me to ignore the distracting thoughts and noises.

Having tight deadlines for finishing what I’m writing keeps me motivated because it gives me a goal to work towards and I want to see if I can achieve it.

I also use audio recordings. I slip my ear buds in, turn on my iRiver and float blissfully along with the sounds.

My favourite to use is the Razor Sharp Focus and Creative Spark tracks on my Brain Salon MP3 (you can download a free Focus MP3 by using the link).

Each recording is 30 minutes long so I get a half hour of focus and then another half hour of creative inspiration.

I’ve heard that you can also find great inspiration from the Writer’s Block CD which is published by a sister company.

I haven’t tried it but I’ve read really good reviews about it.

But if you want to up your writing speed, it’s no good just reading about doing it. You need to actually try it for yourself.

What is your writing output at the moment?

How much writing do you do every day?

If you’re not achieving your writing goals try something different.

Read something inspiring like the 100 Book Challenge.

Both are working for me right now.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments