Monday 28 April 2014

Writing Quickly Can Be Done

My latest obsession, as you know, is writing quickly.

I was intrigued to know if it was possible.

I know I can write quickly because I can type at up to 80 words per minute. But that’s usually when I’m typing up what I’ve already written by hand so it requires no thinking.

But what if I had to write (type) quickly without working from handwritten notes?

Would my writing be up to quality or would writing quickly make me churn out garbage?

Surprising, (and I was surprised, I have to confess) writing faster has not altered the quality of my writing. It has just speeded up the process because it leaves me no time to doubt what I’m writing.

In the ebook I recently read, (6 Figures a Year Writing Kindle Books: 100 Book Challenge), the author talked about writing speed. He said that even writing slowly at 25 words per minute would achieve an impressive 1,500 words an hour.

And 25 words a minute is slow. I’m sure I can write by hand faster than that.

But to write that quickly you need a good outline to follow. If you can write 1,500 words an hour, you can write an ebook in 5 to 10 hours, depending on how long you want it to be.

This writing speed doesn’t allow for much thinking time so once you start writing you must keep going.

It won’t hurt your writing quality but it will increase your focus because you won’t have time to stop or to be distracted.

Just try it. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments