Thursday 2 April 2015

Google Demands Responsive Websites or Sites Won't be Indexed

Google is currently pushing all website owners to make their websites responsive (or fluid) so that they can be viewed on all Smart Phones.

What Google considers a Smart Phone is any phone running on Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone operating systems with web browsers that work similar to desktop computer browsers and are able to display webpages that conform to HTML5 specifications. In other words, most modern phones.

They will also penalise websites that have what Google considers to be "common mistakes" which includes slow-loading mobile pages and making Flash video the majority of a page’s content.


But they do provide a page where you can test your website to see if it comes up to their new standards at.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

The biggest push of all is that the deadline for getting websites up-to-date and Smart Phone responsive, is 21st April 2015.

So that's less than 3 weeks from now.

And what is it that they plan to do to hurt websites owners without responsive websites?

They won't include your website in their mobile search results.

My problem with all this, is that only one of my websites is responsive. And that's this one.

So now my challenge is to redesign all my websites (and I have several) by 21st April.

Google keeps emailing me and listing all the problems with my current websites (thanks Google).

And I don't want to lose my spots in the search results because for many keywords and key phrases, I'm on the first page of Google results, and for one I'm actually at the number one spot.

Which means, that to stay afloat in the crazy ever-changing online world, I have to knuckle down and work hard to bring my websites kicking and screaming into responsive design.

Sadly, the only way to do this is to let all my other work slide for the time being while I crack on with this.

Hopefully, I'll have it done in one week (ha, ha, ha...I'm so damn funny sometimes) so if you don't get any emails from me or blog updates in the near future, that's why.

Damn you Google!!!!

But I guess it was only a matter of time until this all caught up with me because I really should have taken care of this problem months/years ago. I've been thinking about it for a while now. But that's all I've been doing. Thinking.

And as they say, a goal without action is simply a dream.

So now here I go with my first of many website redesigns.

See you on the flip side.

You can read more about this Google Push at

http://insideout.com/blog/2015/03/24/google-mobile-friendly-algorithm-is-your-website-ready/

And if you have any websites that aren't mobile responsive, now would be a good time to change that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these thoughts. It will be certainly interesting to check the updates of the algorithm on non-responsive sites. Would you mind looking at one of our infographic that talks about mobile friendly algorithm in-depth - http://www.webbymonks.com/google/mobile-friendly-algorithm-infographic.html Do provide us your feedback - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a huge infographic with plenty of useful content. Worth a look for everyone thinking about mobile responsive websites.

      Delete

Share Your Comments