Monday 25 May 2015

Finish Your Sh*t

The other day I read a really amusing - yet straightforward and honest - article by writer, Chuck Wendig.

He was talking about how aspiring writers are not really writers at all and was listing reasons why.

One of the things he listed was the bad habit that most writers suffer from, and that is not finishing things we start.

I’m just as guilty as anyone else for doing this and I have half-written manuscripts and short stories waiting to be proofed and edited, stashed away all over the place.

Chuck’s article was called “25 THINGS I WANT TO SAY TO SO-CALLED “ASPIRING” WRITERS” which I thought was funny to start with because of the way he called them “so-called”.

The part of it that made me laugh the most was this:

“I’m just going to type this out a dozen times so it’s clear: finish your shit. Finish your shit. Finish your shit. Finish your shit. Finish your shit. Finish your shit! FINISH YOUR SHIT. Finish. Your. Shit. Fiiiiniiiish yooooour shiiiiit. COMPLETO EL POOPO. Vervollständigen Sie Ihre Fäkalien! Finish your shit.”

I especially liked “COMPLETEO EL POOPO”. Hilarious!

So if you’re a writer with things left unfinished, now would be a good time to Competeo El Poopo.

But seriously though, how much money are we leaving on the table through all our unfinished work?

I even have a series of 7 novels that have been left in the outline stage. Crazy, isn’t it?

Take a good look through all the writing projects you started but never finished and see what you can do to get them completed.

And I’ll do the same.

You can read the rest of Chuck’s article at:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments