Monday 29 June 2015

Get Ready. Get Set. Write!

Lately I've been experimenting with different ways to increase my writing output.

I read an ebook about a writer who went from writing 2,000 words a day to 10,000 words a day just by going out to write every day instead of trying to do it at home.

She found that even though sitting in a cafe was noisy, there were no distractions and no demands on her time which freed her up to just write.

The reason I want to increase how much I write every day, is so that I'm more focused and more productive while I work.

I find that when I can sit down and get plenty of writing done in a short space of time, I'm far more creative and it feels like I'm working in a giant window of inspiration.

If I don't sit down and focus on what I'm doing, I get easily distracted and end up wasting time so it takes me twice as long to get anything done and my writing isn't as good.

So now I've gone as far as giving myself set writing times every day so that I have to sit down and write, even if I don't feel like it.

And I find that no matter how reluctant I am before I begin, once I actually start writing it's easy to carry on.

It was the famous horror writer Stephen King who said, in his book On Writing, that it's important to sit and write at the same time every day and always sit in the same place so that you know that you should be working. And preferably make that place a room with a door you can close.

Focus and self discipline are the two most important things if you want to be a productive and prolific writer.

Yet these two things IMH(yet accurate)O, are the hardest to conquer.

It takes practise and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments