Wednesday 24 February 2016

How to Control Your Writing Income

“Hand Pressing Enter Icon For Money” by samuiblue
One of the problems with being a writer is that you can never be sure of your income.

When you’re employed you receive a regular weekly or monthly income, but being a writer is so different to that.

Every year I start out with goals of how much money I want to earn from my writing and then I have to figure out how I’m going to do it.

Some things I do are successful and I can hit my income target, and other things turn out not so great or maybe even just mediocre.

Then I read a really fascinating article written by freelance writer, Mridu Khullar Relph at http://www.mridukhullar.com/setting-yearly-goals called “Setting Yearly Goals…In November.”

In this article she talks about how it’s not possible to always hit yearly financial goals, because writers don't have complete control over that.

But we can hit yearly writing goals, or as Mridu calls it, production goals.

She then sets down what her writing goals are (books, blog posts, freelance writing work, etc), breaks it down into how much writing she needs to do to achieve it, and then divides it by how many writing days she has in a year (365 days minus 2 weeks holiday, minus 2 weeks sick days minus weekends, etc) and from there gets a really “do-able” daily word count.

It’s great to read how she breaks it all down and shows you that you don’t need to work full-time to earn a full-time income as a writer.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments