Monday 26 May 2014

Perpetual Writing Student

image courtesy of quotesnsmiles.com
I’ve been a writer now for almost 20 years (boy that makes me feel old) and a lot has changed in that time.

I used to make money from my writing by typing articles and short stories (on a typewriter) and mailing them to magazines.

If I needed to do research I had to go to the library and write my notes by hand. Sometimes, if I needed a few pages of info, I’d pay to photocopy it and take it home.

Now I email most of my work, write and publish my own books online and Google nearly all my research.

And to keep up with it all I’ve had to be a perpetual student of writing.

And it’s not just writing that I’ve been learning about.

I’ve also gained a diploma in web page design and I’ve studied psychology and hypnosis to better understand what makes people keep reading and buy products and how to put them into a buying ‘trance.’

I’m always learning new things by reading and listening to audios.

That way I feel like I’m not wasting time because I can read on my coffee breaks and listen to audios on the go while I’m doing other things.

And it never feels like hard work because I’m learning new things all the time.

Keeping up with the sweeping changes with writing and working online is important to every serious writer.

So never think you know it all because things change so fast and you’re never too young or too old to learn something new.

If there’s something about making money from your writing that you don’t understand, find a way to learn it, and you can expand not only your mind, but your business and your income.



Writer's Block CD


Find plenty of resources for writers at http://www.writeaholics.net/writinghelp.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments