Thursday 25 September 2014

How I've Been Increasing My Writing Speed

How to Write 100 Ebooks a Year
This working week is nearly over for me. It's only Thursday but tomorrow I'm going to an all day Ayurvedic Cooking class. Should be interesting plus the food will be useful for helping me stay physically and mentally balanced.

But back to this week.

I have spent the whole week writing, plotting and planning.

I'm currently working on my next ebook for writers as well as all my other weekly writing projects.

As you know, the last few months I've been crazy-busy practising writing quickly or, to put it a better way, seeing how much more I can write in the same amount of time.

And so far the results have been much better than I expected.

I've been re-reading a Kindle book I bought a while ago called 6 FIGURES A YEAR WRITING KINDLE BOOKS: The 100 Book Challenge and it is really inspiring. It is also a very short and straight to the point book that takes less than 30 minutes to read.

In this book the author, John Allen, says it's easy to write 4,000 words a day.

He goes further by breaking it down by time and typing speed and says that even if you only type 50wpm (words per minute) you still achieve 3,000 words an hour.

He says that most average writers achieve between 1,500 to 2,000 words per hour which is a typing speed of only 30wpm. Most writers can write much faster than that which makes 4,000 words a day an easily achievable goal. And as most Kindle ebooks are around 8,000 words, it means you can write an ebook in 2 days which is 2 ebooks a week, and hence the 100 ebooks a year in the book's title.

So then I timed myself because I've been speeding through my writing this week, and guess what? 4,000 words an hour is more than just do-able, it's easy. I've been doing it without even realising it. No wonder I've been writing so much lately.

I work, on average, only about 3 to 4 hours a day. Naturally it varies depending on what I have to do and any deadlines I have. But if there is no rush, then 3 to 4 hours a day is plenty of time to get done what I need to do.

And 3 to 4 hours, at 4,000 words an hour, is up to 16,000 words per week. No wonder I've been achieving so much.

But, of course, earning a living as a writer is about much more than writing speed, and I don't spend the whole time I'm working doing actual writing. I can be researching, editing or dealing with the money/contract side of the business or even designing new websites. But even if I only spend half my working days writing, I'm still writing around 8,000 words a day or more.

Writing against the clock also helps me to be more focused which I think improves my overall writing speed and my output without even trying because it leaves me with no time to stop or be distracted. I also think it makes me a better writer because I don't have time to think and be overly critical about my work.

Some days I write in a 1 or 2 hour burst of creativity and other days I use the Pomodoro Technique if writing in large chunks seems too overwhelming.

But every day, by the time I sit down for lunch, I'm finished writing for the day.

And this is my favourite way to work.

Discover How I Earned over $4,000 Writing Articles in Just One Day