Monday 22 December 2014

I've Changed My Mind, But That's OK

A couple of weeks ago I said that I was changing the way I worked and instead of working for 3 to 4 hours a day, I was going to work for 2 full days a week.

Well, that didn't turn out to be such a great idea for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I found that I kept forgetting what I was writing about. Having 5 days off a week meant that by the time a work day rolled  round again, I'd forgotten what I was working on or how far I'd gotten and had to re-read most of what I'd already done.

Secondly, I JUST CAN'T not write every day.

I think writing must be in my blood because on days I wasn't writing, I really wanted to. It nearly drove me crazy.

I kept trying to tell myself that if I just waited, I would be okay and I'd have a whole day to sit down and get plenty of work done.

But I just couldn't wait.

Not only that, but when I sat and worked all day, I was alright for the first few hours, but then I'd be itching to get up and do something else.

So now I'm back to my old way of working for 3 or 4 hours a day.

But don't get me wrong. It doesn't always work out that smoothly.

When I'm working in a massive window of inspiration, I'll sit and work all day.

Or if I have a dead line looming and still have a lot to do, then I just keep going and going.

However, on a normal week, I stick to my 3 or 4 hours. I usually aim for 3, but inevitably, everything takes longer than I expect and so it extends into 4 hours.

But it's amazing how much I can accomplish during that time.

A few productive working hours a day can seem to work miracles.

But I have made a couple of changes that I won't be going back on.

I've deactivated my affiliate program (which I mentioned in my last email - and you REALLY should subscribe if you haven't done so already) and I've decided not to use images on this blog anymore because it can often take me longer to locate, download and publish an image that it does to write the blog post.

And as I've just recently finished reading an inspiring book on Essentialism, I now don't want to waste time on non-essentials.

How about you?

Are you working the way that is most productive for you?

And by "productive" I don't mean "busy." Busy work is a real time waster.

Productive work helps you get so much done, and makes you feel great too.

------------------------------


Save 10% on Writing Services & Writing Help for Screenwriters at Writers Store with Offer Code SCRIPTX10
The biggest mistake aspiring screenwriters make is sending out their scripts before they’re ready to be reviewed by an agent or producer.
Luckily, The Writers Store offers writing services that include writing help from experienced professionals, writing resources such as books and personal coaching sessions, proofreading, revising and editing services.
Use these writing resources along with our writing software to help start, market and sell your screenplay! This weekend, Save 10% with Offer Code SCRIPTX10.


Save 50% on Script It! at Writers Store
Script It! is the lite version of professional screenplay development software Movie Outline which was created by a produced writer to take the complexity out of the screenwriting process.
While Movie Outline can be used by both the novice and professional writer, Script It! has fewer features but is ideal for the first time writer learning the craft of screenwriting.
Both programs use the simple technique of step-outlining to build your screenplay scene by scene, allowing you to focus on each key event of your script without losing sight of the bigger picture. Save 50%, 21st December 2014 to 30th December 2014.


Save 20% at Writers Store with Offer Code THANKU20
Save 20% at Writers Store with Offer Code THANKU20.
Valid One Day Only, 25th December 2014.


Save 30% at Writer's Digest Shop with Offer Code WRITE30
Save 30% at Writer's Digest Shop with Offer Code WRITE30.
Valid One Day Only, 25th December 2014.