Friday 30 January 2015

How I Eliminated Distractions So I Could Focus More On Writing

Distractions are one of the hardest things to overcome when I want to write.

I'm not the sort of person who can sit and write if the dishes aren't done or the house isn't clean and tidy.

I always have to do those things first before I sit down to write every day.

But that's not the biggest distraction.

It's all the other distractions I find once I do sit down.

And those distractions are all on my computer.

It's emails, RSS feeds with articles waiting to be read or computer games waiting to be played when I get bored and don't feel like writing.

I recently decided that I'm more focused on my work when I'm not at home so I started going out and working in the park or the library or a cafe instead.

But I wasn't happy taking my computer with me for 2 reasons:
  1. It's heavy (it's a Mac Book Pro)
  2. It contains my whole online business
What if I dropped it, or worse it got stolen?

So I invested some money and bought a Mac Book Air.

It's light and doesn't contain my whole business on it.

And it also doesn't contain any of my usual distractions like games and email.

So now when I sit down to work on my Mac Book Air, it's a distraction-free zone.

And even when I am working at home, once I've checked my emails and my RSS feeds, etc, I move over to my new computer so that I'm not tempted to read an article or check my emails or try and beat my latest game score.

Instead I get to work and start writing.

And when I've finished writing for the day, I transfer it all to my main computer so that I can upload it all.

I know that working this way makes my new computer little more than a glorified word processor, but it's worth it because all the extra writing I've been doing has more than earned back the cost of buying it.

Getting rid of distractions is proving to be priceless.

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

Having trouble focusing?

Want to be more productive and have laser-sharp focus while you work?

Nitro Focus MP3s are designed to block out distracting noises while at the same time, helping you to stay focused like a zen monk.

Download a free demo and try it for yourself.

Click the banner below.