Thursday 14 April 2016

Does Writing By Hand Make You More Creative?

“Hand Writing Through Computer” by Jomphong
One debate that modern writers always talk about is whether it’s better to write by hand or straight to the computer.

For speed it’s better to write straight to the computer.

Or is it?

Some argue that while typing is faster than handwriting, it slows the brain’s creative process and so it’s quicker to write with pen and paper.

But handwriting also means having to type everything up later.

Personally, I prefer to do all my first drafts by hand. When I type my work up later, I use it as a first edit, because I can type pretty fast.

I also like to hand write things first because when I only have a pad and pen to work with, there are far less electronic distractions. I can’t waste time idly surfing the net or checking emails or Facebook.
My phone isn’t set up for receiving emails and although I do have FaceBook on it, I’m not a big user and I have notifications disabled.

My pad and pen can also go anywhere with no need for internet or electricity.

I also write less critically while writing by hand. Working on a lit screen feels too clinical and so what I produce electronically is different to what I write by hand.

My writing seems to flow better too, for reasons I do not know. Maybe it’s because writing in a notebook feels more private and  personal. It’s all too easy for others to read what I write on a computer screen, but they are usually reluctant to look over my shoulder and try and read my scrawl and scribblings on paper.

And it’s not just me who prefers writing by hand.

I recently read an article about other well-known writers who also prefer handwriting their first drafts including J K Rowling and Joe Hills (Stephen King’s oldest son).

And because I earn my living from my writing, my daily word count is important so I need to hand write at between ten and twenty pages a day, more than that if possible. I also need time to type it up too.

But even though writing by hand is slower, it’s faster overall because I find it easier to sit and write with a pen (or pencil) but I’m more reluctant to sit down and write straight to the computer.

Which makes me more likely to write every day if I’m going to do it longhand because I find it far more enjoyable, so it’s easier to sit down and get to work.

Whereas, working on the computer causes me to not only procrastinate and waste time instead of sitting down to work, and because I’m more critical when I’m using a keyboard, writing takes longer.

I just enjoy writing by hand which makes me more motivated to write, my writing flows better, plus I get more done in a day.

And that’s what really counts.

So if you’re struggling to sit down at your computer and write every day, try handwriting your first drafts instead.

It works for me and it might help you too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments