Tuesday 25 February 2020

What To Do When You Just Don't Feel Like Writing

I'm currently in the middle of writing my next novel.

But there's a problem, if you can call it a problem. And that is, whenever I'm writing, I lose track of time and before I know it hours have passed by without me even realising it.

It's obvious to see that being totally immersed in my work that I lose track of time (while getting thousands of words written), but the problem is that during that time I haven't had a drink and it's too late to get anything else done.

Sometimes I don't even realise how long I've been sitting there until it suddenly occurs to me that I'm struggling to see because it's getting dark, which is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I was sat with my A4 notebook and pencil, writing away, when I started to noticed that it was getting harder and harder to see the page. And when I looked up, it was dusk and the sun had already set.

I had no idea that I'd been sitting there for almost 3 hours! I thought it was still the middle of the afternoon but it was actually almost 6 o'clock. So dinner was late and I was somewhat dehydrated, but on the positive side, I'd written over a dozen pages - front and back.

Only problem now though, is this morning I'm going to have to type it all up, which isn't all bad because I use it as a way to reread my work and see any parts where I've gone wrong.

And then after I do that, I'll get straight back to handwriting again because it's the part I like best. Once I sit down and start writing by hand, it seems like I just can't stop.

Many writers say they suffer from writers' block, but not me.

I do, however, often suffer from can't-sit-down block.

 But as soon as my butt is in the chair and my favorite retractable pencil is in my hand (or my felt tip pen which I also sometimes use), I'm away with my imagination and love every minute of it. Except that time escapes me so I don't actually remember every minute, but that's OK too.

Getting too much writing done is never really a problem, is it?

So this is my writing tip for the day, if you're having trouble sitting down and writing, just grab your favourite notebook and your favourite writing implement and start writing. If you haven't got anything to write, just write anything. Do a bit of journalling, or write about what you can see, hear and smell.

It doesn't matter what you write, only that you make a start. And it doesn't have to be perfect. Feel free to use bad grammar or to spell things wrong, because perfection isn't important at this point, but words on paper are.

And if you're like me, once you start writing, it's hard to stop.


Goodbye Writer's Block
How to Be a Creative Genius and Have an Abundance of Ideas
Plus the Inspiration and Motivation to Write
http://cheritonhousepublishing.com/books/WB.html


7 Day Ebook Writing And Publishing System
How to Write and Publish an ebook
and Start Getting Sales in Just One Week
http://cheritonhousepublishing.com/books/7day.html




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments