Friday 19 November 2021

Keep Writing Even If You Don’t Feel Like It

Bored Writer - how to keep writing even if you don't feel like it
Photo by Magnet.me on Unsplash

All writers (even the best of the best) face the challenging situation of writing when they really don’t feel like it. It happens to us all. You’re just not in the mood to sit down and write, but you have a deadline looming or a book to finish, and you need to get back to your writing spot, but the motivation just isn’t there.

So what can you do about it?


Well, I don’t know about you, but one thing that “Lockdowns” taught me was that when all distractions are removed (constitutional rights, going outside, living my life) I was much more motivated to sit down and write.


A couple of years ago I cracked a rib and couldn’t move much for a couple of weeks, and this week I had a minor operation on my back, which again has physically incapacitated me or a short while.


And during all these times, I wrote more because I was forced to sit down because there was nothing else I could do. Also because I decided myself to use these times to increase my writing output.


It was also during these times that the more I wrote every day, the easier and better it got.


So just think about that the next time you know you should be writing, but you just don’t feel like it.


And remember that the world’s most successful authors didn’t get to where they are because they gave in every time they didn’t feel like writing. They often felt that way too but they sat down and wrote despite not feeling like it.


And to be honest, even though I love to write, not wanting to do it happens almost every day. Until, that is, I sit in my chair and start writing.


Then it’s amazing how much writing I can do, even though I didn’t feel like it at first.




The One Month Author

How to Write a Book Faster & Better

https://ruthiswriting.com/books/MCWS4.html







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments