Tuesday 14 June 2022

I Don’t Want to Write, I HAVE to Write


Image by Jon Hoefer from Pixabay
For the past couple of weeks I haven’t done any writing at all. Nada. Zilch. Zero. The only exception has been writing shopping lists and writing in my journal a couple of times.

My lack of writing was due to moving and trying settle into my new home which has included finding new places to store things, getting new daily routines, having new curtains and an awning installed and finding my way around the new area where I now live.

But now I’m pretty sure that everything that needs to be done has been done so I’m now back in my writing chair.

Since  I moved, my books sales have been doing well and I sold more books than usual, including my latest novel, What Goes Around Comes Around, which is a romantic story of how one bad deed had a devastating effect on a young guy’s life and created a chain reaction of events that he could never have foreseen. Through it all he meets a young woman who helps him through the darkest period of his life. But he worries that when he does’t need her any more will he still want her? She wonders the same thing too. 


This was such a fun book to write and it’s proving to be a popular book to read too. 

Book sales are a big part of how I earn money writing and they can go on even when I’m busy with other life-changing events, like moving home.

And throughout this past couple of weeks when I wasn’t writing, it felt weird, like something was missing from my life. I felt somewhat lost, even though I was so busy sorting everything out.

That’s when it hit me. I don’t write because I need to, and I don’t do it because I want to. I write because I HAVE  to. I can’t NOT write.

Writing is the way that I earn all my income, but even years ago when it wasn’t, I still used to write all the time.

I think it must be in my DNA. Everywhere I go I usually have a notebook and pen with me. A few weeks ago I was at the beach and later sat in the park near the beach and I went to a nearby newsagent and bought a notebook and pen and spent the afternoon sitting at a covered picnic table, writing.

Even on days when I don’t feel like writing, it feels wrong not to, so I usually end up curled up on the couch with my everyday notebook which is the one I write in when ideas strike me, or when I want to map out a writing plan, or when I don’t feel like writing so I write about it in my everyday notebook, and before I know it, ideas start to come and I start taking notes and start writing.

How about you?

How much writing have you done lately? How much more could yo have done if you’d just sat down and started?

Do you write because you need to? Because you want to? Or because you have to?

Right now I’m catching up with two weeks of non-writing time, and it already feels good.

I hope you get plenty of writing done too.

If you’re stuck, try my Monthly Challenge Writing Series. It’s guaranteed to get you writing and earning.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments