Tuesday 11 June 2024

Trying Hard to Get My Emails Set Up

Since I started posting here again regularly, I’ve been trying to automate my emails so that every blog post is emailed to you automatically.

You’d think that in this technological age it would be easy to do. Right? Wrong.

Technology is great when it works, but when it doesn’t it can suck your life away.

Over the last few weeks I’ve spent hours trying to automate my blog posts. I thought it would be easy but it turned out I’ve had to dive into the code to format my blog posts for emailing and to get them to ‘send.’

I know that nothing is ever perfect, but I’m not a coding expert, and I don’t understand PHP which is the type of code that is used to automate the formatting of emails.

I wanted my blog posts to look the same in an email as they do on my blog, but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than I thought.

I’ve spent so much time on my email provider’s website changing code, working with tech support, going though all the documents in their online knowledge base, and trying to sort the issue.

I even wondered if I’d missed a simple fix so I went though it all from the beginning again but I couldn’t find anything that I’d done wrong.

At the moment, I finally think I’ve got it sorted because I don’t want to waste any more time on this, nor do I want to spend my valuable time having to manually set up and email every blog post I write.

But I guess that dealing with issues such as this, is all part of being a writer.

People think that working as a full-time writer is nothing more than sitting down and writing words on a page every day. They don’t see how much work goes into that.

But even so, it’s much more than just writing. It’s spending time doing marketing, writing articles, making book covers, doing blog posts, freelance work, social media marketing, editing, formatting, publishing, coming up with ideas, file curating, reading, learning, and a whole bunch more.

I find that I need a system of working to keep me on track and to make sure I don’t miss any step along the way. Just something as simple as misplacing a file or document on my computer can set me back an hour or more while I look for it.

Plus I also have a personal life which means that I’m usually busy all the time.

So it annoys me when I have to waste so much time trying to do something like automate my emails which, ironically, is supposed to free up my time.

And after all that, I hope these blog posts (and emails) are helping you to write more and earn more.


“Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.”

~ Louis Pasteur




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments