Friday 17 January 2014

Stumbling Blocks to Writing More

Okay. It's time for me to whinge an whine some more about moving.

On Monday I spent the whole afternoon ringing round companies to notify them of our change of address and to make sure that final meter readings were done. This was instead of the writing I was supposed to be doing.

A couple of them were difficult and wouldn't change our address unless they talked to my husband Dean first.

Then the stupid bank took a mortgage payment for our old house out of our checking account and put it in ourold home loan account. Naturally the home loan account (which should have been closed by now) then had a credit balance b/c the mortgage had been paid off, while our checking account had a negative balance.

Usually it's the other way around. Our home loan account has a huge negative balance which decreases with every loan repayment and our checking account is always in credit.

So I had to ring the bank and they promised the mistake would be fixed in the next 2 or 3 business days and the money would be put back into our checking account and the home loan account would be closed.

Then to add insult to injury, the erroneous payment made our checking account overdrawn so they charged us an overdraft fee of $10 so I had to ring them again.

Then our T-box broke down. It just stopped working. It's an internet box that we receive cable TV through.

I rang the phone company and they kept me on the phone for almost an hour making me try different things to get the T-box back online before they finallly admitted it was not going to work.

They said to send it back in and they'd repair or replace it but so far the promised packaging to send it back in hasn't arrived.

So no Foxtel cable TV for Ruth for the next few weeks.

Then I received an email from Australia Post. It seems there is a problem with our redirection of our mail. Long phone call and long story short, our mail is still being redirected but we can't have the other services that come with it.

Then, b/c of my swollen face last week, the doctor had taken blood samples and when the results came back on Tuesday she called and said "see me."

It turns out I have a small vitamin D deficiency. Goodness knows how b/c I eat plenty of food that contains it and I'm out with my dog for 2 one-hour walks every day and I don't use sun screen. So I'm not sure how that happened.

Then on Wednesday, Dean had been in the city and had parked our Jeep on the street next to a parking meter. He put the money in the meter, but could only pay up to 4pm b/c after that, the whole street became a tow-away zone.

And guess what? That's right. He forgot the time and when he finally rushed outside at 4.45 the car was gone. He rang the number on the parking meter to find out where the car was and then had to catch a train to go and get it.

Plus he had to pay $244 before he could get the car out of impound. Our poor jeep! And all b/c he was trying to save about $30 by not parking in the multi-storey car park. Some saving!

And then, if all that wasn't enough, I had a terrible time yesterday trying to upload some files to my http://gettingrichslowly.net website. The files would upload but the site wouldn't update.

Eventually, after well over an hour of trying to figure it out, I found a folder on my server that I hadn't seen before and apparently that was where the files were uploading to, instead of my public folder, so that's why they weren't showing up on my website.

So I deleted the files, then deleted the folder (I couldn't delete the folder until it was empty), uploaded the files again and voila! They went to the public folder and the site updated.

What a palaver this week has been.

But as my ever sarcastic teenage daughter likes to say "Gee, first world problems, Mum."

The problem with this year so far is that I had great plans for the beginning of this year. I said that I was going to do more writing than ever.

But so far the universe has decided to put stumbling blocks in front of me at every step. I know they're not big stumbling blocks, but they keep tripping me up all the same and sucking my writing time away from me.

So I'm now way behind schedule already.

But I won't let it deter me.

I'll keep soldiering on (b/c I'm brave like that).

I'm actually counting my blessing that my problems are so small.

But they say that you know when you're on the right track b/c all sorts of obstacles start to appear in your way. It's like a test to see just how determined you are to go on with things.

Well, I'm really determined and I hope you are too with whatever plans you put in place for this year.

Whatever road blocks you've come up against recently, I hope you've had the determination (and in my case, bloody minded ness) to keep on going.

I WILL carry on with my writing goals for this year and all my new plans.

I just wish the universe would settle down and give me a break.

I've seen a new book by one of my favourite Buddhist authors, The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh.

Thich Nhat Hanh is such an amazing man. He has a calmness about him that clearly comes through in his writing (and he's written over 100 books) and reading his work can quiet your mind in minutes.

One of my favourite books of his, which I read often is The Miracle of Mindfulness.

If you've never read a book of his before, or any Buddhist books, this is the best one to start with.

I think I'll settle down this weekend and read one of his books to calm my mind and get it back into focus.

Then next week I'll begin my new writing goals in earnest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments