Friday 11 July 2014

Too ill to Write

I've been out of action for a few days now. I came down with some sort of wretched virus that has had me flat on my back since last Saturday.

Thankfully I'm almost back to full health now but I'm still finding it hard (impossible) to breathe through my nose.

The biggest problem with beling ill, though, was boredom.

Bored! Bored! Bored!

We have a cable TV channel called TV Hits and I watched it constantly for days. NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist, Law & Order and lots of other crime shows, one straight after the other, all day every day.

I slept on and off and dozed through nearly every episode.

Bored! Bored! Bored!

Then 2 days ago I felt well enough to sit up (which had been a struggle for a few days) and do limited work on the computer before my eyes began to stream. My creative spark seemed to have been extinguished so writing was out of the question.

But what I found was that it was a good time to do catch up work.

I caught up with a bit of web design that needed doing, organised my files, researched a few things that I'd been meaning to do but had never quite gotten around to doing, completed quite a bit of paper work, and did a few other small jobs as well.

I also found I had quite a bit of thinking time too which was incredibly helpful.

So all in all the time was not a complete waste. In fact, it turned out to be quite helpful (except for feeling so weak and ill and struggling to breathe). :)

And today I have been back at the helm, steering my metaphorical writing ship and the work has been easier than usual and I've been surprisingly more productive and I think it's because I've had so much time to think things through and make plans (that was another thing I kept doing).

Naturally, all this got me to thinking (probably because I've been doing a lot of that lately) that perhaps having a day or two now and again to do anything but write, could be quite beneficial because even though it may seem like a waste of time, it certainly helps to get the old grey matter working.

So perhaps a 'time out' day at least once a month, could be used as a brain-storming session or a catch-up day to do all those niggly little jobs that I've been meaning to do but never quite gotten around to. Or a day to do both.

Because if my recent experience was anything to go by, backing away from the computer for a while is tremendously helpful and I feel quite pleased with all the unfinished jobs that are now taken care of.

And also, today is Friday but it feels like it's the start of the week to me, so I can't believe the weekend is here already.

What a bonus!

And I've also learnt how to catch a lot of criminals. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments