Friday 11 July 2014

Taking a Break From Writing

image courtesy of quotesnsmiles.com
Writing is great. I can sit and do it for hours.

But not without breaks.

I find that if I sit and write for too long, my creativity wains.

There are times when I'm working in a huge window of inspiration (and I just love those times) and I can just go and go. But I always regret it later because I get dehydrated from not having a drink.

I also notice that on a usual day of writing, taking breaks makes me much more creative.
Some writers like to work for 30 minutes then take a 5 minute break.

Others advocate working for 90 minutes and having a 15 minute break.

Personally, I work for as long as I can and then take a break for as long as I need to.

Sometimes a break can last over an hour while I go and do some weeding in the garden.

I think that generally I can sit and work for about one to two hours at a time. yet there are days when 30 minutes seems like a long time to work without a break.

But one thing is for sure. I always have to take a break at some point. And it's usually when I start to lose focus. That is my brain telling me to get up, walk away slowly, take a deep breathe and stretch.

And then whether I've had a 5 minute break or a two hour break, I can come back to what I was doing and start fresh all over again.


Enhanced Creativity Meditation CD
Binaural Beats for Writer's Block
& Increased Mental Focus 
Zen To Done:
The Ultimate Simple
Productivity System 
Make Your Brain Smarter:
Increase Your 
Brain's 
Creativity,
Energy, and Focus 
Manage Your Day-to-Day:
Build Your Routine,
Find Your Focus, 
and Sharpen Your Creative Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments