This week, I'll share what I've been reading online that I found inspirational (or interesting), some writing news, and a few writing markets for you to try, plus the Funny Writing Tips image, and I have no idea where I found it. I just came across it in one of my files.
It's been cold here in Australia (we are in winter), yet I've been reading online about how hot it's been in Europe. While I've been shivering, I cannot relate to how hot it is somewhere else. And because we mostly live in warmth and heat for 9 months a year, our homes aren't built for the cold. We don't have any central heating so when we get up in the morning, the house is cold.
For heating we use our reverse-cycle air conditioning unit, of which we only have one, so it never reaches every corner of all the rooms all the time.
Anyway, because it's been cold, I've spent more time indoors writing, reading and studying (I think it's always important to keep up-to-date with the writing and publishing industry because things change so fast). In fact I've spent so much time indoors recently that two of my neighbours said, "Welcome back," when they saw me on my front veranda because they thought I must have been away because they hadn't seen me for a while.
Well, here are a few things that I've come across online and I hope you find them useful, interesting and profitable too.
WRITING NEWS
Court Grants Final Approval to Landmark $1.5 Billion Anthropic Settlement
Authors included in the settlement now stand to be paid as much as $3,000 per work. Furthermore, publishers stand to reap a major windfall, with some of the larger publishers due to receive tens of millions of dollars.
2026 Booker Prize Longlist Announced
The 13 books longlisted for the 2026 Booker Prize, the U.K.’s highest honour for works of fiction, have been announced.
New S&S UK Imprint Targets Self-Published Authors
Simon & Schuster UK and International has launched Simon Stream, a digital-focused fiction imprint aimed at self-published authors. The imprint hosts an open submissions portal, and is currently accepting crime, thriller, romance, historical fiction, and fantasy manuscripts of 70-100k words.
$2m Crime Novel Deal Collapses Amid Questions Over AI Use
A high-profile publishing deal for a debut crime novel has collapsed after doubts emerged over whether artificial intelligence played a role in writing it.
16 Jobs for the Summer Slow Times
A really useful list of things you can do when you have no writing to do.
Building Without Predicting
This is great advice from Derek Sivers for life and work, not just finding or building a house.
Skip Being Everywhere Online, And Just Be Somewhere Instead
~ by Richard Hoy
WRITING MARKETS
Experienced True Crime Script Writer (YouTube)
This is a long-term opportunity for the right person.
Horror Fiction & Nonfiction Wanted
Hobbyhorse is seeking fiction and creative nonfiction for its inaugural issue, themed around obsession, fixation, persistent ideas, irrational fears, recurring dreams, and the things we cannot stop thinking about. Original work and reprints are welcome, with a preference for speculative, weird, and memorable writing.
Submission Details:
Publication: Hobbyhorse Issue 1: Obsession
Submission: Closes Nov 30th, 2026
Payment: Original work pays $0.02/word up to 3,500 words
Word Count: Up to 5,000 words, with payment capped at 3,500 words
Flash Fiction: Yes
Poetry: No
Theme: Obsession, including fixations, compulsions, persistent ideas, fears, recurring dreams, and other subjects or thoughts to which people continually return
Genre: Fiction, particularly Speculative and Weird Fiction; Creative Nonfiction
August, 2026 Dark Fiction Short Story Markets
Minimum Pro-Paying (5 cents+ per word)
76 Calls for Submissions in August 2026 - Paying Markets
No comments:
Post a Comment
Share Your Comments