Tuesday 20 January 2015

Get Ready, Get Set, Write!

If you're a subscriber of mine, then you'll know that a few weeks ago I began a new part time job doing commercial cleaning.

The reason I took on the job wasn't because I was short of money, but short on exercise.

I mean, yes I clean my house every week, and yes I walk my dogs every day as well as mow the lawn every week, do the shopping, cooking, washing, ironing, etc, but it's not enough exercise.

Then I came across a local part time job cleaning two commercial premises.

And surprisingly, this little part time job taught me more about making money from writing.

How so?

Well, when I first started the job, both commercial premises were filthy. The previous "cleaner" (and I use quotes because she seemed to do very little cleaning) was useless. There was filth and cobwebs everywhere. I have no idea how she kept her job for over a year (I saw her long list of signatures in the sign-in book).

Anyway, it's took me a few weeks to clear up her mess and lick both places into shape. But they really look good now.

When I first started, I was told by my boss at the cleaning company that it should take me about 1 hour to clean the biggest place and about 30 minutes to do the smaller one.

But in the beginning it took me nearly 2 hours and 1 hour.

Now, however, I have it down to a fine art and I've gotten on top of it all, and I've got a weekly cleaning schedule sorted out (it's impossible to clean everything every day so I have split it all between days of the week).

This has drastically cut my cleaning time which is good because I'm paid by the fortnight, not by the hour, so if it takes me less time to clean, it's better for me and works out at a higher rate per hour for the work I do.

Last night, for instance, it took me 20 minutes and 35 minutes to do the work. And I didn't skimp.

And while I was working I was thinking about time and money (unsurprisingly) and I was thinking about how it relates exactly the same way to writing.

I looked at it this way:

What if you were to sit and write for 3 to 4 hours and you could produce 3 or 4 blog posts and an article?

That would be good, wouldn't it?

But what if you could sit and write for 3 to 4 hours and produce much more?

How much more money would you earn if you could write twice as fast and write ebooks, small reports, and dozens of articles and blog posts every week?

What if, instead of writing and publishing 1 ebook every month, you wrote and published 2 or 3 or even 4?

Just as in any job, time is money.

And it's certainly the case with writing.

If you can sit and work completely focused and write every day, you'll get faster and better at what you do.

So you can work less hours, or write more in the same amount of time.

Either way it's a win-win situation.

In 15 minutes of productive time, you can write an article.

In 2 hours, you can write a short report or ebook.

And with practice, you can do even better.

But you won't know what you can do unless you do it every day and practice. Just like I did.


P.S. Don't forget about the discount offer for my latest ebook, The 7 Day Ebook Writing and Publishing System which comes with the free bonus 2 Hour Short Report Writing.

They'r currently selling for $25.99 and until this Friday, 23rd January, you can get both for only $11.99 by using the code word "subscriber" at checkout, and clicking "update cart" to see the discount applied.

Don't miss this hugely discounted offer.

Time is running out.