Thursday 22 October 2015

The Most Difficult Thing I Deal With As A Writer

You'd think that sitting down and writing is easy for me because I've been doing it for years.

But it really isn't.

Some days (like today) I'm motivated to sit and write because I'm working on an interesting project and getting a lot of writing done.

Other days (like the last 4 weeks) I've been unmotivated and found it hard to sit down and get to work. But recently that was because I was designing my new Cheriton House Publishing Website and website work isn't my favourite thing to do, but it is a necessary evil.

And being able to sit down and work every day (without a boss looking over my shoulder forcing me to work) is one of the hardest things that I've had to overcome.

There are days when I just simply don't feel like doing anything. On these days I sit down but get very little done because I find myself easily distracted.

There are other days when I just can't seem to sit down and get to work at all and everything and anything looks more interesting than writing.

I've read plenty of books about this problem because it seems that many writers suffer from it, even those who we think of as prolific and successful writers. One of my favourite books on this subject is The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield.

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring up this subject that Pressfield calls Resistance (always spelt with a capital R) that all writers suffer from in one degree or another.

The good news is that it's not impossible to overcome.

I've overcome it by reading books about it, using "to do" lists to keep me on track, and listening to audios for creativity and focus while I work.

I also allot certain hours every day to when I work. At the set time I sit down and write. And like the late, great copywriter, Eugene Schwartz, I don't allow myself to do anything but work on my current project. I can't get up and I can't do anything else, so eventually I start working and once I start it's easier to keep going.

So if you often suffer from Resistance to writing, try some of the techniques I've used or (if it helps) take a look at my writer's resource page and try out a few things and see if they help. You can even download a free demo of the  "Razor Sharp Focus" audio from Brain Salon.

Or take a trip to your local library and borrow a book or two that can help.

Then keep writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments