Wednesday 15 September 2021

How and Where to Get More Writing Ideas Than You Know What to Do With

 “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
 ~ Steven King

I've quoted the famous horror writer, Steven King, because he is absolutely right about being a successful writer.

They say that to be successful, you don't have to be a better writer than anyone else, you just have to outwork them. Talent won't make you rich, but talent plus hard work will.

I've heard more than enough people ask about how to find things to write about. It's as though they have no writing ideas at all.

The 'secret' to having writing ideas is to write. It's that simple.

Got nothing to write?

Find a paragraph of writing and copy it out. Then copy out another one, and another one. Keep going and the ideas will start to flow.

I also find that the faster I write, the faster the ideas flow. They say that productive writers always have plenty of ideas, and I know I do. 

The more I write the more ideas I get. And the ideas don't stop coming when I'm not writing. I can be standing at the sink washing dishes and the ideas just keep coming, so I stop and take a few notes and before I know it I've written pages of ideas. To anyone else, my notes look like illegible scrawl with words circled and arrows pointing every which way. But to me it's gold.

And as to the infamous writer's block, I don't have time for it. I'm far too busy writing.

If you have trouble with writing ideas, start writing. Write anything. Write about what you did yesterday, or what you had for breakfast, or something you watched on TV. It doesn't matter what you write, it just matters that you do.

Some people believe that writer's block is the hardest thing to overcome. But I think starting is the hardest.

Once you conquer that, the only problem you'll have is what to do with so many ideas.


Books to help you make money from your writing










No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments