Monday 20 December 2021

A 10-Hour Writing Day

How to Have a 48 Hour Day

I previously told you about how I’d been re-reading one of my favourite books on productivity called, How to Have a 48 Hour Day, and in this book it says to work 10 hours a day, which I began to do.

I get up at 6am every day, even weekends, so from 6am to 4pm I make sure I’m productive - not busy.

At first I thought it would be difficult, but it isn’t at all. Some days I have to juggle things around, so if I decide to go to the beach for a couple of hours (I live at the coast) I make up the time later on, or I take some reading material that I want to catch up on, or take a notebook and do some writing or brainstorming.

Before I began the 10-hour day experiment, I was a quitter. As soon as something seemed too hard or too tedious, I’d quit. But now, I take a short 5 minute break and then carry on, no matter how much I feel like I don’t want to keep doing what I’m doing.

And the surprising thing is, once I sit down and get back to writing, it’s not that hard at all to keep going. It also works for other chores around the house, even cleaning the car isn’t hard once I add it to my daily to-do list, and then do it no matter what.

This is great for getting more writing done and for everything else I do.  It’s like having a deadline. I can’t stop working so it forces me to get as much done as I can. When I’m writing I force myself to stay in my chair, and soon I’m back in the ‘zone’ and getting plenty done. And it’s such a great feeling.

I also limit my online time to 30 minutes during my 10 hours, and use my writing computer for most of the time and only switch computers later to upload things.

10-hour days are actually easy to do and surprisingly fun.

https://amzn.to/2YbtGyw


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments