Thursday 17 March 2022

Do This BEFORE You Write Your Book

Image by HeatherPaque from Pixabay

 I recently finished writing my latest book called Self Publish Worldwide. I also published it.

I’ve been working as a self published author for years. I even began long before self publishing was popular, and it wasn’t easy to do.

I’ve only had one book published by a publishing company and the rest I published myself.

And to be honest, I prefer self publishing because it gives me control over my books.

And its so much easier to self publish now once you understand how to do it.

But while it’s easy to self publish, selling is harder. You can’t sell a book if you don’t know who you’re selling it to.

What you need to do, before you even write one word is decide

1. Who is your audience?

2. What is the book’s category?

This may sound stupidly obvious and pointless, but it’s not and it isn’t

Audience. 

Say you’re going to write a romance novel. First, you need to know exactly who’ll read it. Obviously romance stories are aimed at women, but is yours suitable for a teenage girl, a 30 something, or a retiree? Your exact target audience will make a huge difference to how you write your book.

I recently read a book about how to write a book in a week. Obviously, it was aimed at someone who wanted to write a book quickly, but it was clear from the contents that it was aimed at someone who already was a writer and looking for a way to write quickly, not at someone who had no clue how to write a book. There’s a big difference between those two audiences. This book was perfect for me because I’m an experienced writer looking for productivity tips, not a complete newbie not knowing where to start.

So audience was critical.

Category. 

This is equally important, not only because bookstores need to know what category to list your book in, but you need to choose the category where your prospective readers will be searching.

So it’s not as simple as choosing Sci-fi or Romance categories, but to choose sub-categories like aliens or erotic romance. When you start looking at sub-categories, the list can go deep.

It’s the same with a book about writing, it can be book writing, article writing, or even productive writing.

Knowing who you’re writing to and where to find them (category) means you’ll improve your marketing by marketing directly to them, and a 10-point marketing plan makes it so simple to do and gets your book in front of the right audience quickly.

This is just one of the many things you’ll discover in Self Publish Worldwide

Download my free self publishing report at https://chertitonhousepublishing.com/free-ebooks.html

No sign up required




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments