Thursday 10 November 2022

The Almost Effortless Way To Write Books

notebooks on veranda ready for writing
My desk, where I write, is in front of a window.

Nearby, a new block of apartments has been built.

For weeks I’d see the huge crane being used to lift pallets of building materials up to the builders on all levels, and to remove all the big skips full of rubbish.

It was all quite fascinating to watch.

Then one day, as the building neared completion, the crane was taken down because it was no longer needed. I was interested to see how they did it because I’d never seen it done before.

Two men were at the top of the big crane, several men were on the ground below and they had a smaller crane on the back of a truck to help take down the big crane.

The two men up top worked carefully and methodically to dismantle the big crane piece by piece and working from the end of the long arm on one side to the balancing blocks on the opposite side. It was a careful process of knowing what to remove and when, to keep the top of the crane balanced.

Cranes that size rarely fall, but it can, and does happen.

The two men seemed to be following a process that they’d done many times before. They worked swiftly and efficiently so keeping the crane upright was not a problem. The whole job was done smoothly.

As I sat writing, I kept glancing up to see how the dismantling was progressing and I realised that they had a process for every part of the job, so everyone knew what to do so everything got done.

And I thought that it’s the same with writing books. It’s something I’ve done many times, so I know the process, and the more I do it, the easier it gets because I know every step in the process, making it simple and effortless to follow the steps:

Idea

Outline

Cover

Marketing

Writing

Editing

Proofing

Copyright page etc.

Publishing

Working through a writing and publishing process several times makes it faster and easier with less thinking and more doing.

It also makes the whole process more pleasant to do which makes me look forward to doing it again.


 











The 12 Month Writing Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments