Wednesday 25 March 2015

Write by Hand Or Write Straight to Keyboard?

Write by hand or straight to keyboard? Which is better?
This is an age-old question that writers have been debating for years.

Is it better to write by hand and type your work up later, or write straight to keyboard?

Personally I prefer to write by hand first because I’m more creative when I work this way.

But when you do the math of the extra time this takes compared to writing straight to keyboard, it seems like a much slower way of doing things especially when hand writing is slower than typing AND I have to type my work up as well.

On the surface, it looks like I’m always doing things the slow way, but I disagree.
I’ve tried writing straight to keyboard many times because the way I work can seem frustratingly slow sometimes.

But what I find is that I’m not as creative when I try and write straight to keyboard.

I use JDarkRoom  on my Mac computer which is a free-to-download, distraction-free software that’s meant to block out any of the usual distractions to help enhance creativity. And while it helps, it doesn’t solve everything. I still feel less creative and my writing doesn’t flow as well as usual.

This ends up in wasted time stopping and thinking about what to write, lost creativity and extra time editing and correcting what I’ve written, or completely deleting everything and starting again from scratch.

So while the way I work may look time-consuming and slow, for me, it works.

And as the saying goes, if it aint broken, don’t fix it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments