Wednesday 3 February 2021

Earn More Money From Your Writing By Focusing On What You CAN Control

 I love earning money from my writing. In fact, I cringe when people say they do it for love or because they love it and don't care that they don't earn much money from it. I always think that if they're not interested in earning money from writing, then why bother publishing it or submitting it at all?

But while I love to write and love (need) to earn money from it, there's no point in concentrating on earning money, because I can't control that. So instead I focus on what I can control.

So what do I have control over?

Well, I can write more. It's up to me how much time I spend writing. I could (and many people do the same) tell myself that I just don't have the time, or I'd write more if I had more time. But we all have the same amount of time every day and it's up to us what we do with it.

Marketing is another thing I can control. It's no good writing if no one reads it. So I spend my time marketing my work with blog posts, SEO, social media (just a little bit because I'm not a fan) and emails, just to name a few things.

Butt-in-chair time is another thing. You may think this is the same as writing more, but it's not because I can't write more unless my butt is in the chair more so chair time always comes first. And once I sit down I make sure I write and not waste time surfing the net.

Less time-wasting is another thing that helps me to earn more money from my writing because I can't earn more if I'm wasting time doing unimportant things. And the truth is that even though I might sometimes think I'd rather sit and watch movies all day, or go for long walks on the beach, I always feel better at the end of the day when my time has been spent productively.

It's no coincidence that the more I write and market my work, the more money I earn.

Looking at it another way, imagine that you write a book and earn money from every copy sold. Now imagine that you've written 20 books. Now you can earn 20-times the income.

So even though you can't control your writing income, you can control how much you write and how much you market your work and get it known and sold all over the world.

So if you're wasting time focusing on writing income, make the change and focus on your writing.

And I've got plenty of books that can show you how so you can start writing more today.

"It's not my brain that's writing the book, it's these hands of mine."
 ~ Madeleine L'Engle

https://ruthiswriting.com/books.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments