Wednesday 27 April 2022

Here’s How To Do 12 Months of Non-Stop Writing

Beach in Townsville North QLD
Back in early 2020, my husband Dean and I went on a road trip up North to tropical Townsville. We took a few days to drive up there, stopping overnight here and there and sleeping in the back of the car (we had a utility truck with a fixed canopy over the tray with a fitted mattress inside).

I thought I’d have trouble sleeping during the trip because I often wake up in the early hours of the morning at stupid o’clock and can’t get back to sleep. So I thought it would be worse sleeping in the car at roadside truck stops.

But it turned out to be the opposite. I slept than I had in years. I had no trouble falling asleep in the car and slept straight though til morning every single night. Dean would say, “Didn’t you hear that bus-load of people pull up and use the toilets last night?” And “There were so many trucks pulling out at 4am and I couldn’t believe you were sleeping through it all.” He was disturbed by sounds every night while I slept like a baby.

We talked about it when we got home and I decided that the reason I slept so well was simply because of decision fatigue. Every day was spent making one decision after another, after another, all day long. Where are we going to stay tonight? How are we going to shower? What are we going to eat/ How far do we have to go? Where are we? Where are we going tomorrow? How much fuel to do we have? When can we stop and have a break?

At home there isn’t many decision to make because I’m organised so it’s not tiring. I know what I’m going to be doing each day. Everything is planned. Even if something unexpected comes up, it’s easy to re-organise everything.

Having a plan makes every day so much simpler. I have a plan and I work my plan.

And I’ve set up a 12 month writing plan for you in my book, The 12 Month Writing Challenge.

So there are no decisions you need to make, except how soon are you going to start?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments